Thursday, February 04, 2010

Being Happy.

I kept my resolutions fast & loose this year:
Be healthy.
Be happy.
Be hydrated.
The first one is pretty obvious - eating & exercise factor strongly into this category & we're doing pretty well adjusting our schedule so that Nick & I can make it to the gym. The last one catches two problems 1) I don't drink enough water and 2) I always forget to use lotion & my bathroom is bursting with bottles. I was doing such a good job drinking water during boot camp this summer - now I am back on track. And, my skin is much happier.
The second one is a reminder to enjoy the busy days, try to focus on the positive & not dwell on the stresses of parenting too much.This is the tough one. As I was lying in the bed last month, I reached for a book from my library stack & came across Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project.
I hadn't heard much about this book (which is apparently a very hot topic & blog), but as I started reading it, I felt like there were passages that I could have written. Gretchen took a year to explore different theories on happiness & created a plan with monthly action items designed to increase her happiness. It was an interesting read. A few of the items/reminders that I took away from the book include: 1) unfinished projects can create a lot of stress & clutter, 2) don't forget to "spend it" (i.e, use that pretty stationary or lotion), 3) make time for exercise, friends & hobbies.
I've spent the last few weeks trying to get caught up on some photo projects that have been hanging over my head for too long. It does feel good to start checking some of those long term items off my to-do list. I'm on a roll - I think I've created 9 photo books this year!
Happiness must be a hot topic these days. I read three magazines in the gym today - each of them had a sizable section focusing on happiness. I don't know if its related to the economy or just a typical new year introspection, but its nice to know I'm not alone.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: